Monday, January 23, 2012

New Kid at School

           Today was my first day of school and if any of you remember your first day of kindergarten where you don't know your teacher's name and the girl sitting next to you smells funny...you're not really sure what your mom packed you for lunch and you don't know where the bathrooms are? Well, that was today in a nut shell. Most of my teachers, I cannot pronounce their names, the girls sitting next to me are from all over the world and wear so much perfume it burns my eyes, I didn't pack a lunch because I don't really have any groceries or lunch sack and in the need of two minutes to collect myself and figure out what in the world is going on, I couldn't find the bathroom.
           The morning started off slightly rough because I did not sleep well and I knew that dad would be leaving. After I said my goodbye to dad, I headed upstairs to meet the other girls and professors at PAA. In showing up to class, I find that I am one of a handful of Americans in the "melting pot" here at PAA. Just in my immediate group, most of my class time will be spent with roughly 7 other girls, there are three other Americans Amanda from ISU, Jasmine from Boston and Steph from NYC, one from Australia named Elise, Antoinette from London, Violet from Argentina, Chantal from Lebanon and girls in some of my other classes are from France, Iran, Turkey, Canada, Iceland and Sweden to name a few! Most of the teachers speak english, but that does not mean they speak it often! The accents are so strong from all teachers and students that I constantly find I am either asking someone to repeat what they said or someone is asking me to repeat what I said! I have now had three girls ask if I was from Minnesota because of how I pronounce my "O" and "A" vowels. They asked me to say "boat", "bag" and other various words and in a room of that many languages and cultures, the "Minnesotan/South Dakotan" gets pointed out, someone tell me how that works?
           I had three classes today and will on thursday and friday as well. Tuesday I only have my two hour French lecture and on wednesday I do not have class. Although I wish it was friday instead of wednesday, I'll still take it! In one of my classes our professor took the ten of us out on the bus to a textiles supply store in the heart of the city. Talk about a field trip! Definitely not like heading to Dorothy Pecauk Nature Center! We did make it there and back and saw a new part of the city in the process!
           Tomorrow, our French class is cancelled as we have a scarf dyeing demonstration in the morning! It should be interesting as we learn techniques of dyeing fabrics and many of the other girls and I are looking forward to it! Tomorrow afternoon we are meeting at 3:30 to "dress a fashion show". We are required to wear all black, minimal makeup, no jewelry, and no high heels. We will be back stage at a fashion show and as the models come back we will help prepare them for the runway! Hopefully we will have a chance to talk with the designer, whose name I absolutely cannot think of right now but will post up tomorrow, and have some insight to his inspiration for the collection!
           Today was full of many emotions and I know that tomorrow will be a much smoother day! I am hoping to take pictures while dyeing the scarves and of some of the runway show! It should be an exciting day and I hoping to run in the morning and see some of the area around me for myself! Hope all is well at home and know that I miss you so very very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment